storage type header image

Spring (Or Any Time Of Year) Cleaning Tips

Just store It | May 21, 2019

As the weather continues to get warmer and there are more sunny days ahead of us than snowy or rainy ones, you’re probably thinking about how much dust you’ve let settle in your home while you’ve been cooped up from the cold. A good deep-clean of your home will do you (and your allergies) a lot of good, and so can going through your things and getting rid of what you no longer use or need.

Check out the following spring (or any time of year) cleaning tips for sorting your belongings, and contact Just Store It! in Knoxville to rent a storage unit for the things you still want to hang onto.

Things To Get Rid Of

While you go through your belongings, if you come across anything that makes you think, “Oh wow, I didn’t even know I still had this,” it’s probably not something you need to keep. Anything you don’t use, don’t like, or don’t remember even owning can probably be rehomed.

Items that are severely worn or shouldn’t be donated to a second-hand store can be thrown out. Don’t forget to shred any papers with personal information on it that you’re getting rid of.

Do your best to make objective decisions about your things. You may have owned some things for a long time, but if you don’t use them anymore and they’re still in good condition, chances are that someone else could put it to good use.

Things To Keep

People use about 20% of their belongings 80% of the time. The key is to identify what’s included in that 20%. No, this doesn’t mean you need to get rid of the other 80% of belongings that you own, but being able to confidently identify items that you use everyday will help you decide what to keep.

By figuring out what you use all the time, you can more easily figure out what you don’t use as often. Items that you use semi-regularly are probably safe to hang onto, but seasonal items or things that you only use during special occasions can probably go somewhere else.

Things To Store

This is where a storage unit comes in handy. Now that you’ve identified belongings that just take up space for most of the year, you can place them in a storage unit for safekeeping. Items that work well in storage are holiday decorations, seasonal clothes, items with sentimental value that you don’t use, outdoor gear that you can only use for one season out of the year, and things that only get used for special events.

When it comes to how much you need to store, nobody can accommodate you like Just Store It! We offer a variety of storage units sizes, easily-accessible units, and 24-hour security. We are dedicated to clean, secure, and convenient storage for all of our customers. Contact our location in Knoxville today to learn more about our available storage unit sizes and amenities — and reserve your storage unit today!