There are many reasons you may want to store your items long-term. Maybe you found out that you will be deployed for an extended period of time and need a location to store your belongings until you get back. Or, maybe a room in your house has long been cluttered by old furniture and boxes, and you’re just looking to get them moved to a new location until you need them. Whatever the reason, it is essential that your items are properly prepared for long-term storage ahead of time. Read these tips below!
Preparing for a Long Term Storage Solution
- Make sure everything is clean: The worst mistake you can make when putting items into storage is storing items that are dirty. Items that aren’t clean can actually form mold or mildew in your storage unit. Over time, if not taken care of, this can lead to the mold and mildew spreading to all of the items in your storage unit.
- Make a map of your storage unit layout: Since you will be storing items for an extended period of time, it is helpful to make a map of everything that is stored in your storage unit. As time goes on, it will become more difficult to remember where you stored the holiday decorations or box of extra dishes.
- Label all boxes: Along with making a map of your storage unit, label all 4 sides of any boxes you put inside of your storage unit with a list of contents. This will help you to more easily identify the box you need.
- Make sure all boxes are properly sealed: Use a high-quality packing tape to seal the openings to the box. It is important to remember that if the boxes aren’t sealed well, there’s a possibility for dust to get inside.
- Make sure all furniture pieces are covered: When dust is left settled on your furniture for an extended period of time, it can actually damage it. Prevent this from happening by keeping your furniture covered while in storage.
- Never use plastic: Avoid covering any of your items in plastic. Plastic doesn’t breathe well and can actually trap moisture inside. This can cause, mold, mildew or rust to form.
- Use a climate controlled storage unit: When storing items long-term, it is best to use a climate controlled storage unit. A climate controlled storage unit will protect your items from fluctuations in temperature, which can otherwise be damaging.
Reserve a Long-Term Storage Unit with Just Store It!
Need a long-term storage unit near you? Just Store It has storage facilities in Clarksville, TN, Johnson City, TN, Kingsport, TN, Fort Collins, CO and Palm Desert, CA! Our storage facilities offer various sized storage units ideal for any sized storage need. Reserve a storage unit with Just Store It today!