After all of the holiday presents have been unwrapped, the New Year has been celebrated and all of the holiday cookies have been eaten, it is time to start putting away the holiday decorations. An artificial Christmas tree is a popular alternative to a real Christmas tree. But, in order to be able to use your Christmas tree year after year, it is essential that it is stored properly. Learn how to store an artificial Christmas tree below.
How to Store a Fake Christmas Tree
- Remove the ornaments and decorations: First and foremost, carefully remove the star, ornaments, tinsel and other decorations from the tree. Place the decorations inside of bags and boxes to protect them during storage. If the tree isn’t pre-lit, remove the lights as well.
- Disassemble the Christmas tree: Next, take apart the Christmas tree. Depending on the size of the tree, it likely breaks into two to four sections. If the tree is pre-lit, be careful when pulling each piece apart not to damage the light strands or bulbs.
- Fold the tree up: When you got the tree out of the box, you fluffed it out to make sure the branches looked full. When putting it back into storage, fold the branches inwards to fit in the box.
- Use a Christmas tree storage bag: To protect your tree during storage, utilize a Christmas tree storage bag. A Christmas tree storage bag will help to protect your tree from damage caused by dust, dirt, vermin and pests during storage.
- Always store the tree horizontal: Even if you can store the tree vertical, it is a better idea to store it horizontal. While this will take up more space in storage, if the tree is stored vertically and falls, it can be permanently damaged.
- Never store items on top of the tree: While it may be tempting to store items on top of the tree to maximize storage space, this is not a good idea because it can damage the branches or break the lights.
- Use a climate controlled storage facility: While the basement, garage and attic are common locations to store a Christmas tree, these areas are prone to fluctuations in temperature. Over time, temperature fluctuations can age the tree or cause mold or mildew to form. To keep this from happening, it is important to store your Christmas tree in a temperature safe environment.
Just Store It Has Climate Controlled Storage Unit for Seasonal Décor!
For someone that loves to deck their house out in holiday décor, a storage unit is a great solution for seasonal storage. Instead of cluttering your closets and other storage spaces with items that are only used once a year, a storage unit rental lets you keep these items in a secure location close to your home. Are you looking for storage in Tennessee, Colorado or California? Just Store It has storage facilities in Clarksville, TN, Fort Collins, CO, Johnson City, TN, Kingsport, TN and Palm Desert, CA! Reserve a 5x5, 5x10 or 10x10 storage unit today!